Kevin M. Yeager
I am a sedimentary geochemist with expertise in radiochemistry – my research uses elements of the sedimentary record to answer questions about the functions, quality, and sustainability of sedimentary systems and host ecosystems, and about the history of those environments over the last ~10,000 years or more. This work often occurs at the interface of rapidly evolving natural and human processes considering both natural and built environments. This research has included lines of scientific inquiry within a range of subject areas including fluvial processes, coastal processes, neotectonics, marine sedimentary systems, carbon cycling, land use change impacts, limnogeology, and contaminant sourcing, transport, and fate. Characterization of various radionuclides (137Cs, 210Pb, 7Be, 226Ra, 228Ra, 234Th, 232Th, 230Th, 228Th, 239,240Pu, 14C) is a central tool of my research, as they often serve as tracers of physical, chemical, and biological processes, and as chronometers, allowing for specific proxies, events, or processes recorded in sedimentary archives to be dated precisely.
- Lo, E., K.M. Yeager, I. Bergier, L. Domingo-Luz, A. Silva, M.M. McGlue, 2022. Sediment infill of tropical floodplain lakes: Rates, controls, and implications for ecosystem services. Frontiers in Earth Science (in press).
- Johnson, S.E., M. Swallom, J.R. Thigpen, M.M. McGlue, J. Dortch, S. Gallen, E. Woolery, K.M. Yeager, 2022. The influence of glacial topography on fluvial efficiency in the Teton Range, Wyoming (USA). Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 592: 117643.
- Feagin, R.A., T.P. Huff, K.M. Yeager, S. Whitehead, 2021. Can sea level rise help us restore coastal wetlands? The hydrologic restoration of the Slop Bowl, Brazoria National Wildlife Refuge, Texas. Shore and Beach 89(4): 73-82.
- Streib, L.C., J.R. Stone, E.C. Lyon, H. Ha, K.M. Yeager, S. Zimmerman, M.M. McGlue, 2021. Anthropogenic climate change has altered lake state in the Sierra Nevada (California, USA). Global Change Biology 27(23): 6,059-6,070.
- Tan, D., Q. Li, S. Wang, K.M. Yeager, M. Guo, K. Liu, Y. Wang, 2021. Diel variation of CH4 emission flux in a small artificial lake: Toward more accurate methods of observation. Science of the Total Environment 784: 147146.
- Sena, K., K.M. Yeager, C. Barton, W. Bond, K.J. Schindler, 2021. Development of mine soils in chronosequence of FRA-reclaimed sites in Eastern Kentucky. Minerals 11(4): 422 DOI: 10.3390/min11040422.
- Alverson, A.J., T.K. Chafin, K.A. Jones, K. Manoylov, H. Johnson, M.L. Julius, T. Nakov, E.C. Ruck, E.C. Theriot, K.M. Yeager, J.R. Stone, 2021. Microbial biogeography through the lens of an invasive speciess: The recent introduction and spread of the freshwater diatom Discostella asterocostata in the United States. Biological Invasions, doi:10.1007/s10530-021-02497-5.
- Zhang, H., S. Huo, Z. Xiao, Z. He, J. Yang, K.M. Yeager, X. Li, F.l Wu, 2021. Climate and nutrient-driven regime shifts of cyanobacterial communities in low-latitude plateau lakes. Environmental Science and Technology 55(5); 3,408-3,418.
McGlue, M.M., K.M. Yeager, M.J. Soreghan, M. Behm, I.A. Kimirei, A.S. Cohen, C. Apse, P. Limbu, R. Smiley, D. Doering, J.S. Lucas, A. Mbonde, P.B. McInytre, 2021. Spatial variability in nearshore sediment pollution in Lake Tanganyika (East Africa). Anthropocene 33: 100281.
- Zhang, H., S. Huo, Z. Xiao, K.M. Yeager, J. Zhang, X. Li, 2021. Sedimentary DNA record of eukaryotic algal and cyanobacterial communities in a shallow lake driven by human activities and climate change. Science of the Total Environment 753: 2021.141985.